I am starting to get into birthday party planning mode, since both my son and my daughter have birthdays coming up in the next month or so. While brainstorming about cakes and desserts, I remembered these divine cookies and cream cupcakes that I shared on my family blog forever ago. I am sharing them here as well because they are SO delicious they deserve a second post (and also because every time I make these someone asks for the recipe, so I can send them here now to find it in all of its glory!)
I of course found this on Pinterest and first made them about a year or so ago…initially I was worried the cupcakes wouldn’t turn out because the batter was a little runny, but after baking they looked (and tasted) great. The frosting…oh the frosting…I had to double the recipe just to ice all of the cupcakes, but man every ounce of that frosting is totally worth making. It is creamy fluffy Oreo-y goodness…and on top of these moist chocolate cookie cupcakes, it is not for the faint of calories 🙂 but totally worth it on your cheat days!
I will definitely be making these again, and if I ever need to schmooze Aaron I know I could totally win him over with a mint version. If you missed the link above for the recipe, I typed out the recipe below as well.
Thanks to Chef in Training for sharing this wonderful recipe for all of us to enjoy!
COOKIES AND CREAM CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa sifted
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 14 Double Stuffed Oreos finely crushed
COOKIES AND CREAM FROSTING
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp. butter softened
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 package Dream Whip (this can be found in the baking aisle of the grocery store) dry
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 Double Stuffed Oreos finely crushed
- Add the sifted cocoa powder to a medium sized bowl and pour in the cup of hot liquid. Whisk until completely dissolved.
- Next add the buttermilk to cool down the mixture, then add the sugar and whisk until all is combined.
- Add the eggs, oil and vanilla and mix again.
- In a small bowl, stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk this into the wet mixture until you no longer see any lumps.
- Stir in heavy cream until evenly mixed in.
- Lastly, stir in finely crushed Oreos.
- Pour into cupcake tins and bake at 350 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until done. Let cool and chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- For Frosting: Beat softened cream cheese and butter until smooth and blended. Add vanilla and salt and beat until well incorporated. Add Dream Whip and mix well. Add the powdered sugar and beat well. Lastly, add in the crushed Oreos and beat until well incorporated.
- Let frosting chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Once both cupcakes and frosting has chilled in fridge for at least 30 minutes, pipe frosting on top of cupcakes and enjoy! Store any left over in fridge.